Sunday, July 19, 2009

NZ trip

Dear bloggie,

I decided to copy hy and start posting pictures in my blog. Suddenly, I don't find the harm to do so.

Anyway, i mixed up my daes in NZ. Apparently, my day 2 which i've written about was supposed to be day 3. Oh well!

Day 2:
We set off from Auckland for Rotorua. We actually went to Waitomo Caves before reaching Rotorua. We went blackwater rafting! Jaey posted some really nice pictures on facebook but i shall get the originals from her. Blackwater rafting... it was a cool experience. It wasn't like whitewater rafting at all. All we carried with us was one black tube and we walked through the caves with a torch on our head. Occasionally, we get to sit on our tubes and flow with the water, or jump backwards from a high point down into the water (or rather, to sit proper into our tubes). I flipped twice during all these activities and i drank a hell lot of water =.= We also saw glow-worms (aka maggot's shyt). It was nice looking at the glowing stuff in the dark caves. Enjoyed it a lot! We had nice facilitators too who teased us occasionally. It was tiring, cold and full of challenges but i enjoyed it =D

Day 3:
Geothermal + Zorbing + Luge
I don't have the photos for these. I wrote about the geothermal thing at Wai-O-Tapu. Then we went for Zorbing, u noe, rolling down the hill in a huge plastic ball. There's a hydrozorb and dry zorb. I went for the dry zorb cos i can't be bothered to change. Also, the dry zorb involves 360deg turns =.= The hydro one just makes u get wet while u slide around in the ball. I went down the hill and omg, i was dizzy and i felt like my stomach was churning badly. lol! Then again, it was a cool experience! I thought i couldn't tolerate it.
Luge was $29 bucks for 5 rounds. Sentosa ripped us off. In addition, there are 3 different courses! so it was much more interesting and i loved speeding. I didn't dare to speed much initially but later on i just sped.

Geothermal area

Day 4
Went to Whakarewarewa Village which showcases the Maori Culture. We got to see the Maori people, experience their song and dance and have their traditional meal. They cook their meals in natural steamers - Hangi Meal. I love their songs! I guess it's because i like the sound of harmonizing.

Traditional Hangi Meal













Song and Dance

Day 5
We went Aratiatia dams and skydiving. We went to see the dams open and release water from the catchment area. I expected it to be a grand view but actually, it opens like a slit of about 1m and water just gushes out from there. But beyond the dam is actually a river, so seeing water gushing down that river is quite beautiful.






The downstream after the dams opened.
















The Aratiatia Dams











Then we went for skydiving! We decided on 12000 feet initially but then changed our minds later. Since it's our first time, 3000 feet more doesn't make a difference so we took on the 15000feet challenge. Plus we get a free shirt with 15000 feet =P Obviously it's mroe expensive yea. anyway, 15000 feet is the highest legal height for tandem skydiving. I got this guy called Jonathan. He's a really funny instructor, but at the same time, serious and helpful =) Love him! I enjoyed my whole experience because of him. Anyway, we were on the plane. In no time, we were pushed to the door of the plane, took an exit photo shot, and then swung off the plane. I didn't even have time to be scared! haha! then i had the time of my life freefalling~~~my face was like a chimpanzee and my ears hurt like hell. HAHA! Then when the parachute came, it was like bungy jumping already. Jonathan allowed me to manipulate the parachute - like turn it towards the left or right. He pulled so hard on them that we practically swung horizontal to flat ground. it was scary but exciting =D Ok that's about it.

Day 6
Went to Tongariro Nature park for the Tongariro walk. We went to visit Mount Doom (according to Lord of the Rings). It was supposed to be a 2hour walk but we took about 4hours instead. We walked to a waterfall before turning back. It was cold >.<
























Mt Doom in the distance


















The snowkid i made with melting snow





Day 7
We simply visited the bungy place and watched people jump. Then we went to Huka falls to yea, see the waterfalls. Nothing exciting to elaborate about. Oh yea, then we went to see some boiling mud pools. How nice if i can do my facial there.


They even had a jump menu!

























Huka falls














The bubbling mud pools. Looks like diluted horlicks!















The rainbow i found after shopping for groceries. i love rainbows =)





Day 8
Went for the Hobbiton tour at Matamata. We went to visit the filming site for Lord of the rings. Yea, Froddo's village/Hobbit's village/The Shire. It looks different from the movie because those houses are enforced for tourism purposes. After viewing the filming site, I realised how deceiving the movie is. AHhhhh! maybe i'm too naive but i seriously thought the whole place was constructed just for the movie, including the interior of Bilbo Baggin's house. Obviously it wasn't. haha. Only the exterior was used. It was even constructed within a private sheep FARM. lol!! I can't type much here else i'll be lengthy. Then we headed back to Auckland. We went to visit Mt Eden, which is an inactive volcano. Yea, there was a crater and I really wanted to walk all the way down to the centre of the crater. Of course, there was sign telling us not to. Then we walked around Mt Eden. We got a panoramic view of the Auckland city and the skytower. Just beautiful... Lastly, we stayed long enough for sunset. ahhh...watching sunset at Mt Eden on the second last day in NZ kinda summarises my whole trip.




Bilbo Baggin's house














The tree where the village celebrated Bilbo's birthday





















I'm taller than a hobbit =D






View from Mt Eden













The whole trip was really fun and thanks to Jaey and xy for planning. I felt guilty for not helping and I couldn't say it during dinner. Thanks guys! I really enjoyed this trip.

Oh yea just a quick mention: I keep hearing Jason Mraz's "I'm yours" everywhere I went in NZ =.=