Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mid-term break

Dear bloggie,
I'm blogging quite a bit aren't i?
After I came back from NZ, I went around Melb having food tours. Also, Jiali's bf came to visit her so Sueling and I toured around with the 2 of them.

10/7/09
Went out with Sueling for dinner in the city. Two of us have nothing to do >.<

The Shepherd's pie i had. It looks small but it's actually quite filling. The salad dressing was light but alright. The filling (meat and pasta sauce) was a bit watery but still alright.
The creme brulee that i've been craving for ever since I had Cadbury's Dessert Chocolate Creme Brulee. Wow I love creme brulee! It's like an egg custard in a cup with the top caramelized with a flame. The layout looks simple and it tastes wonderful =PThe tiramisu which Cafe Giraffe is famous for. The scotch fingers go really well with the cup of coffee that is provided. The tiramisu (cake layer) didn't have a flavour that was too strong and it wasn't too watery either. I love it! I'll order this the next time i go Cafe Giraffe.

11/7/09
Went out with Faezah, py, toto n xy to Toorak, then Camberwell Sofia's for lunch, then Kew, then Ikea before heading off for Korean bbq at night with Joanna and Sueling. Toorak doe

The chocolate cake we ordered was sufficient for 5 people. Seriously! The mint was thick and yea, we had quite a few mint lovers at the table (eg. xy, faezah n toto)
Yea we ordered Pasta Misto/Mista. Can't remember how it was spelt. We get 3 choices of pasta. So we ordered our all-time favourites - Avocado Fettucine and Chicken and mushroom risotto. I love Sofia's Risotto! We also got Veg Lasagne. The Avocado Fettucine wasn't as nice as the one in Bell St. I don't know, their standards fluctuate between days, servings, and branches. Chicken and Mushroom Risotto was really good though. I love it =D

Yea at night Sueling, Joanna and I met up to go to Oriental Spoon, a Korean restaurant in the city. It was supposedly good. We ordered BBQ pork belly and baby octopus. It wasn't as nice as we thought it to be. In fact, "White tomato" (another korean bbq restaurant) serves better BBQ stuff. We felt like we were over-paying for that kind of food we got. In addition, if we re-fill our side dishes for the third time, there are additional charges. There's no such thing in "white tomato"!
Beef Bulgogi which we ordered in addition to BBQ (cos seriously the portions are too small). The beef bulgogi was in fact oishii! Geee~ Maybe oriental spoon was known mroe for the hot plates rather than the BBQ options. Then again, i prefer the idea of grilling on top of charcoal. The charred taste of the meat just makes it more delicious.

12/7/09
I went out with Sueling (again =.=) and Jiali couple. We went to St Kilda in the morning to the Sunday market. I was quite disappointed. I thought the beach is much nicer than I thought =.= or maybe, we were at the wrong place.

St Kilda beach
Had this cup of Mocha chocolate at KokoBlack along Lygon Street. So cold and a bit bitter. Stupid me forgot to add sugar to make it sweeter. For the first time, I didn't like mocha. I should've ordered hot chocolate. At least, after this kokoblack experience, i shall have hot chocolate for my next choco experience.We decided that we were hungry and we went to another pasta restaurant along Lygon Street near Koko Black. Yea, this restaurant had many posters of Ferrari's, F1 Formula stuff and Michael Schumacher.
We ordered cream Gnocchi. It's the first time I think that Gnocchi is nice! I think i prefer creamy pasta to tomato/Bolognaise recently. change of taste yea.

We went to Melb museum after this and met Joanna there. Well, it's my second time there so i knew most of the stuff. However, i still found the Mind and body section interesting. I can't take photos so i can't show >.<>
The chicken wings still had feathers on it! So we didn't eat the wings in the end. And there was a hamburger with a sunny-side up on it! AHHhhh... MY dream meal! but of cos, we had to share. There were bacon and steaks too. SEriously HUGE portions. I finally had bacon after i left Glenn. I loved the Bacon i had in Glenn but obviously, it was fattening.
Ms Chicken Parma! They had generous amounts of cheese over the chicken schnitzel. Yummy! It tastes like the one I had at Mosskito. Maybe we should go Mosskito and have a meal and compare.
The seafood platter that will always appear at a huge meal. The mussels weren't that fresh, maybe that's why they were deep fried for the seafood platter. There were calamari too. Ok la, quite a normal plate of seafood platter.There were fries hidden beneath every single plate of food that we ordered. There were so much fries leftover that we could fill the huge plate with just fries. We couldn't even takeaway! Mean~ We ended up playing Zhong Ji Mi Ma to finish the fries. LOL!
There's always space for desserts! According to toto (or someone else), we humans actually have 2 stomachs. One for dessert, and one for entree. He has 3 apparently, one for ice-cream (which is not classified as dessert). So we ordered pancakes! That's apple and cinnamon pancake. I liked this better than the other one. We were so full but we managed to finish both pancakes. I feel that it's nicer than the one at pancake parlour. Maybe i'm just biased. I probably just love the icecream on the pancake and the maple syrup.Banana and Walnut pancake. Yum!

After we left the restaurant, we waited for the tram for sometime only to realise that tram service has stopped (it was only 9pm plus then!) we got a shock and didn't know what to do. We walked a bit and attempted to go back to the restaurant to ask for directions when some passers-by directed us to take the last bus in the area back to footscray station. whew...

13/7/09 (Mon)
As usual, I went for CO practice only to discover tons more people at the practice! yay! I prefer bigbig orchestras.

15/7/09
Went to Brighton beach with Sueling and Jiali couple. haha, i've been visiting a lot of beaches recently. I didn't have much photos cos my camera ran out of batt =( Brighton beach area has quite a lot of pretty houses. If only i was half as rich enough to stay in that kind of house. Anyway, along the coast of the beach, there's this row of houses. It's supposed to be for private renting or something but apparently, nothing has happened. The seawater at Brighton beach is also much clearer than the one at St Kilda. Love Brighton beach =D
The pretty beach with Melbourne city in the backgroundThe colourful houses which we took quite a lot of photos with.

16/7/09 (Thurs)
Spent my afternoon making desserts with Faezah. We made oreo non-bake cheesecake. We also attempted avocado juice + milk + gula melaka. Taste good! I made my sago dessert too. We had a movie night watching a Swedish movie. I can't remember the title, but it's about this guy called Arun who's the Knight of the Templar. It's related to the history of Sweden. Then we watched a Bollywood movie starring ShahRukhKhan. LOL! I fell asleep on toto's bed after about 45minutes. Songs were nice but seriously, the story went too slow. We didn't have my sago dessert in the end cos I completely forgot about it after the Hindi movie.

17/7/09 (Friday)
Taught Hafizah how to play mahjong in the day. haha! I also went over to Susan's place to bunk at night. Her apartment is quite posh but well, it's expensive too. By the time I went, the rest (mel, joanna, susan and susan's fren) were preparing to sleep already. haha! I ended up playing mahjong with Mel before we went to bed. I guess I started to feel tired relatively early ever since the NZ trip. zzz... Jo, Mel and I shared 2 single beds pushed together. As we slept, the single beds kept separating. Got a shoulderache from sleeping on my side for too long >.< It was also quite cold.

18/7/09 (Saturday)
Finished till the latest episode of Shining inheritance!

19/7/09 (Sunday)
Went over to Thomas' place to practise for our erhu qizou. His place is seriously far from mine. He stays in Boxhill >.< Took a long walk to his home from Boxhill central. RAarrrrrr~~ Travelling to the city was bad enough =( Though only 5 of us were present, it was still quite fun. I really like group practices. Just enjoy playing together and the company. Was invited to a bball game after practice but i had a date with jaey n eshan to the pompeii exhibition. Ahhhh, i wanted to go bball =P anyway, i finally got to talk to the others slightly more than before. Normally, i don't really talk much with them during orchestral practice since i sit at a corner.

Pompeii exhibition was good! Learnt more about how pompeii disappeared and how Mt Vesivius is so deadly. I would love to witness a volcanic eruption. Then again, thinking about the implications of a volcanic eruption, I'd rather not have any occurring. It was worth my 14bucks! I'd prefer it cheaper yea. The most saddening part was the body casts exhibits. Imagining how those people suffered during the volcanic eruptions, trying to run away, trying to protect themselves from the ashes and pumice, and getting trapped in these volcanic material... ahhhh... Just felt sad for them. Hope that they didn't suffer too much. enough of my ramblings for the day! thanks for listening =D